Thursday, May 5, 2022

Feliz Cinco de Mayo 2022

 

So it finally happened: I was exposed to COVID. Today Hardingfele sent the whole band an email letting us know that her husband tested positive, and he came to pick her up from band practice on Sunday and listened to us play one song while standing in the hall. My other bandmates figured we weren't exposed enough to him, but it seems likely he could have given it to Hardingfele, and she was sitting next to me for well over an hour. So far she has tested negative, and she said the home tests are useless because they said her husband was negative, but a "real" test said he was positive. Unless it was a false positive... I did order the four home tests you could get free from the government some time ago, so maybe tomorrow I will take one. It's hard to know if I would even notice symptoms right now anyway, with all the allergies I'm suffering from. I love the flowers this time of year, but not their pollen!

This morning Travalon and I went down to the dock before I started work, since that was the time of day when we saw all the teals and wood ducks last year. We still didn't see any ducks, just coots.



And the cranes on the neighbors' pier.


And lots of these little swallows flying over the water. This one stopped and posed for us.


Then we ran into Prairie Man, walking Michaela. She has a cute new haircut for summer.


She was so happy to see us!


As Josh Billings said, "Money can buy you a pretty good dog, but it can't buy the wag of his tail." 

This evening we went to the nearby fast food-style Mexican place for a quick dinner, because on Cinco de Mayo all the fancy Mexican restaurants are busy. The secret is to go in September, on real Mexican Independence Day, when they have parties with live music but not so many gringos. Then we came home and went out on the dock. Here are those same two cranes in the light of sunset.


Here is the sunset.



I am sitting out on the porch for the first time in forever, although there was one day earlier this spring I was able to do it. Travalon watched the original Star Wars movie because yesterday was May the Fourth (be with you). I think the first one is about as close to the perfect movie as you can get, but why they bothered to make so many more is beyond me. Milking that cow, I guess. Yesterday at work we were discussing Star Wars movies vs. Star Trek movies, and my coworker named after a Norse god said the Han Solo movie was truly atrocious, but I haven't seen it, and I think I'll keep it that way.


Famous Hat


No comments: