Tuesday, May 24, 2022

Happy Hour Meeting

 

I love May, and supposedly it is the most commonly chosen favorite month, but this is no surprise. May smells wonderful. Magnolias, crabapples, lilacs, and later in the month honey locusts, not to mention all the smaller flowers like hyacinths and lilies of the valley. When Travalon and I went to Olbrich on Saturday and walked around in the outside gardens, we came to a part full of all white flowers - tulips, daffodils, and something that looked like snowdrops but it's late for that - and it smelled divine. We didn't take any photos of that, but here are some fringed tulips in our neighborhood.






This afternoon I had a "meeting" which was more of a happy hour for the committee to celebrate the end of the semester. They said they used to have them at the Madison Club, which I have never been to, but this was a more casual thing at Steenbock's on campus. I figured I would put in an appearance and then cut out early to walk to my adoration hour. This is the committee with faculty and deans on it, and as I suspected, I was ignored at first. I stood alone at one of those "happy hour" tables with a glass of Pinot Grigio and some hors d'oeuvres, and a dean joined me, maybe out of pity. I asked him how his classes had gone, and he said he noticed students often doodled on their assignments, so he started posting "Doodle of the Week," and then they really got into it. Pretty soon we were talking about music and birds and all sorts of things, and another dean joined us, then some faculty members, and I was having such a good time that I almost missed my adoration hour! In the meetings themselves I may feel very inferior to the rest of them, but in a casual situation I can keep up with their intellectual banter. Suddenly I realized about the time and bid them all adieu, then I saw a bus that would take me right to my church pass by - I had just missed it! But wait - it got stopped at a red light! I ran as fast as I could and just barely caught it, and I got to adoration just in the nick of time. Phew! And despite not walking to adoration, I somehow got my five miles of walking in today anyway. God was really looking out for me today!


Famous Hat


No comments: