Monday, May 16, 2022

Super Flower Blood Moon

 

Continuing yesterday's post, here are some more photos from Stricker's Pond. First, a martin.


Here are a sandhill crane and some geese in a field of dandelions.


Here is the mama merganser with her little ones.



Then the crane pictured above walked from the field to the pond, and all the geese followed him like he was their king. He waded out into the pond after the merganser family, but they swam away really fast, and he lost interest. I am thinking he was dreaming of duck for lunch. Here you can see how tiny the sandpipers are compared to the geese.


And here is a killdeer. I was really hoping to see a baby killdeer, because people have been posting photos of them online, and they look like tiny, fuzzy killdeer, but we didn't see any yesterday, although there were plenty of killdeer at Stricker's Pond.


Then the merganser family came back.



We saw these pretty flowers along the edge of the path along the pond.


Here are some photos of the lunar eclipse last night. I meant to text Travalon that it was a "rare super flower blood moon," but somehow I texted the group that includes Ma Hat and my aunts and uncles. Oops! At least it was just that and not something like, "We're out of toilet paper!" These are photo as the eclipse was progressing.




Travalon's photos of the blood moon, when it was totally eclipsed, did not turn out. There must be some other setting on his camera he needed to use for low light. However, after my text faux pas, my uncle in Colorado texted this photo of the blood moon. It was a super moon because it was so close to earth, and it was a flower moon because it's the full moon in May (I think that's a First Nations thing), and of course the blood moon part is because of the color it appears when it's completely in the shadow of the earth.


My old boss from the Press took this awesome photo of it, I believe in Virginia:


I don't know what his secret is, but he takes amazing photos.

Today I went for a walk at lunch, and in Allen Centennial Gardens I saw jonquils.


I also saw these cool fringed tulips that are dark purple and sea green.


In the afternoon I went to a farewell party for our chancellor on the Union Terrace, where we had free popcorn and ice cream and got to say goodbye to her. It sure was a beautiful day.


Famous Hat




No comments: