Tuesday, May 7, 2024

Funicular Religion

 

Today was a quiet day; I worked from home and ran around inside because it was raining out (and even storming) most of the day, except for a break at lunch and right after work. I did the laundry, and when I was sorting it afterwards, I saw Ringo our crocheted octopus was peeking out from Travalon's MGM blanket. It was so cute that I had to take a photo.

Then I went to Adoration, and Jilly Moose joined me for a bit because she was going to meet a friend for dinner. Because it's Tuesday, I went home and watered my plants - I'm trying to do it on a regular schedule, and they are already starting to look better. It stands to reason, since my work plants are always a lot happier, and I always water them on Wednesdays. I'm trying hard to be a better plant mommy.

When I had said to my neighbor how hard it was to make ourselves clean on the weekends when we work all week, she suggested ten minutes every day would be better than a half hour every Saturday. It feels like less work at the time, and in the end it's a lot more time cleaning. So the last couple of days Travalon and I have cleaned for ten minutes, and it really does seem to be making a difference! I hope that we can keep this up, and then maybe our place will finally be presentable enough to have people over.

On Night Prayer Richard Bonomo, Jilly Moose, and I were talking about demons making suggestions to people, and I said the suggestion they always make to me is to start a religion. Fortunately I know that's a very bad idea, because I might actually be successful at it. There are a lot of older women in this town who are looking for instant enlightenment, and I know there's no such thing, but I also know I could sell them on the idea of it. I said enlightenment is found in the quotidian duties of life, but they don't want to hear that. They're not like people who don't even care about enlightenment (there are plenty of those), but they don't want to do the work so they don't care for religion. It's like they want to go to the mountaintop and see the view, but they refuse to climb the mountain - they're looking for a cable car to take them to the top, but it doesn't exist. Rich said, "Ah, they want funicular religion!" and I said, "There's my blog post title!" Funicular religion sounds like an interesting creed, and it would probably be a very successful sales tactic, but it's really an oxymoron, because there is no way to the top of the mountain but to climb it.


Famous Hat


No comments: