Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Amazing Timepiece

No Lenten reflection today. I just wanted to tell you about the amazing timepiece I acquired last night. It started when we saw a bright light just behind a distant mountain. See below.

Figure 1: Arantxa Approaches the Light

Arantxa and I walked toward it as if in a trance until a powerful beam suddenly pulled us up into the sky. To our surprise, we found ourselves aboard an enormous space vehicle, speaking to three strange creatures. I don't know how to describe them except to say that they resembled Chthulhu more than Hello Kitty. They didn't directly speak to us but communicated telepathically somehow. When they found out Arantxa was Basque, they told her the deepest secrets of the Universe. Since I'm not one bit Basque but just your basic Anglo-Celto-American, they apologized and said they could not reveal these secrets to me but they could give me a very special gift, a watch that would help me travel through the time-space continuum. I cannot reveal everything I learned, but I will say this: be very careful when going down the steps next Tuesday. I have included a picture of the watch, but you probably cannot understand the arcane phrases on it. Neither can I; only Arantxa has that power.

Figure 2: Space Alien Watch/Time-Space Continuum Bender

APRIL FOOLS!!! It's just some silly watch a drug company sent us free in the mail. The amino acid codes are no substitute for plain, old-fashioned Arabic numerals when it comes to telling the time.

We did have a truly odd April Fools' Day here at work; some coworkers came back to their office mid-morning just to find that the lock on the door had been replaced by a key pad! They had keys to the office but did not know the code of the key pad so they had to do some research. They still don't know if this was an accident or a crazy April Fools' Day prank...

Famous Hat

No comments: