Friday, January 1, 2010

Old School for the New Year

Happy New Year to all 5.6 of my loyal readers! I hope you had a good one. My New Year's Eve was fairly low-key; Botanist 53 and her two kids came to Rich's house and Anna Banana II made us dinner, then we watched a Star Trek fan movie and then toasted the New Year a bit prematurely with Frangelico - yum! Later in the evening Rich and I attempted to make another Famous Hat video, but we had some technical issues (and some good blooper footage!) so he is going to try to re-engineer things today so we can give it another go. By then it was just a few minutes until midnight, so we cracked out some non-alcoholic bubbly grape juice to ring in 2010, and then I headed home.

This morning I woke up around 6:00 am and decided to go to the Tridentine Mass. Why not ring in the New Year in old school style? It's a day of obligation so I had to go anyway, and I really like the Tridentine Rite but don't usually attend because 1) I sing at the 9:00 am Novus Ordo Mass every Sunday and 2) hellooooo, it's at 7:00 am. But since I was awake, I went.

What I'd really love (and Anna Banana II and Cecil Markovitch agree) is to have an Eastern Rite liturgy at Our Lady of Perpetual Sobriety... or heck, anywhere within a 20-mile radius. I am madly in love with the St. John Chrysostom liturgy, but around these parts you'd have to attend some flavor of Orthodox (there are Greek and Antiochian in town) for that. Anyway, OLPS already has three kinds of Masses (Novus Ordo in English and in Spanish and then Tridentine in Latin) so when would they shove another one into the schedule? Also, are there any Eastern Rite Catholic priests around here? If you are an Eastern Rite Catholic priest who would be willing to celebrate the liturgy at OLPS, drop me a line. We'll fit you in the schedule somehow.

Famous Hat

No comments: