Saturday, January 16, 2010

Three Rich Stories

Here are three true stories about Rich:

The Mystical Bond

One day Rich was walking down the street when a neighbor he didn't know very well stopped him and asked, "Are you an Aquarius?"

"Yes, I am," said Rich.

"There's a bond between us," she told him.

"That's true," said Rich, and he kept walking. When I asked if he wasn't curious what this bond was she was referring to, he said no but he was referring to the fact that they were both members of the Mystical Body of Christ.

Overhead Projector Parts

Once Rich dropped an overhead projector, and part of it broke. As he was walking down the street wondering where he could find the part he needed for the overhead projector, he saw Mr. Icon approaching him, holding a bag. Rich greeted him, and Mr. Icon held the bag out to him and asked if, by any chance, he needed some overhead projector parts.

"Why, yes, I do!" said Rich, looking into the bad. And there was the very part he needed!

The Nuclear Bomb

One night Rich was biking on a narrow, tree-lined street up a steep hill when he saw something shocking in front of him: an enormous nuclear mushroom cloud! Rich was very shocked, but instead of wondering where he should hide, he thought to himself, "They finally launched a nuclear weapon! But what could they be bombing over there? There's nothing in that direction!" And then he realized there was a car approaching behind him, and what he was seeing was its headlights lighting up the trees that hung over the street.

Famous Hat

2 comments:

Richard Bonomo said...

Some details:

Regarding the young lady, I think my reply was (as spoken) "the communion of saints." The young lady was apparently a cosmetology student. I have no idea what happened to her.

Regarding the overhead projector: I did not actually drop it. It was late at night, and I had used the projector as test load for an uninterruptible power supply. As I was carrying the projector back to it's place, the top glass place slipped out its place and shattered upon hitting the floor. BTW, the conversation to which FamousHat refers took place in the middle of a street, in a crosswalk, as the "parts supplier" and I were passing each other...

Regarding the faux nuclear weapon, the thought that first entered my mind when I saw the whole "sky" light up was along the lines of "Great. Someone's finally done it. Someone's detonated a nuclear weapon." A split second later my thought was "Odd, there is no target in that direction [that close]." My error was evident to me immediately after that, when my eyes adjusted to the sudden luminance, and I could see that those were tree leaves above me, not sky...

These stories have provided no end of entertainment to my friends.

Richard Bonomo said...

PS Regarding the young lady, that was my reply to FamousHat. To the young lady, I simply said "Yes, I know", or words to that effect.