Monday, November 8, 2010

Save the Pyare Square Building!

There is a very cool building in our city called the Pyare Square (because it's round, see) that those in power would like to tear down.  Everyone I talk to likes the Pyare Square building, which is a nearly vacant office building, and personally I think it would make a much better bunch of condos than some of the buildings they either convert or just build.  Here is a picture:


In case that doesn't give enough detail for your taste, you are in luck, because I have a close-up:


It's not really the Leaning Tower of Pyare Square; I just must have had the camera at a funny angle.  This year the only Halloween party I went to was not a costume party, but there was a costume contest where Toque McToque works, and I thought about going as the Pyare Square building with a sign that said:  "Save me!"  My other idea was to be the mysterious upsilon statue in my neighborhood:




I did discover a plaque at the bottom of the sculpture, giving the name and artist:



It would be pretty amusing to dress like the upsilon, stand in front of it waving at traffic, and watch all the ensuing accidents.  But for now I will refrain from causing my fellow citizens to run into each other while rubbernecking at the crazy waving upsilon.

A couple of weekends ago the weather was beautiful, so I went for a long walk and brought my camera. However, I only ended up taking a couple of pictures.  Here is one of some beautiful trees:


And this is the Old Rugged Cross!  I found this behind a local Methodist church:


And finally, here are some pictures of some of my "Christmas" cacti blooming.  The one that blooms around Thanksgiving is covered with buds, so I should soon have some shots of it blooming as well.  Also, two of my orchids appear to be growing flower spikes, but they are moving at a very slow pace so I cannot promise when I will be able to put orchid pictures on here for you to enjoy.






Famous Hat

2 comments:

The Hobbit said...

When I was little, I always thought that statue meant that the building was a "Broken Cheerio factory." I thought that they took broken cheerios there and stuck them back together again. I guess it's really an architectural firm.


(The youngest alto in choir.)

Famous Hat said...

I thought I was the youngest alto in the choir! Of course, calling me an "alto" is a bit of a stretch, even if that's what they make me sing...

It's some place called Marshall Erdman, but it seems way too brightly colored. Broken cheerio factory totally makes more sense.

WV: coner - one who cones, I guess.