Monday, November 29, 2010

RIP Auxiliary Bishop

Tomorrow is the funeral for our retired auxiliary bishop.  He was a great guy.  Allow me to demonstrate with a few stories:

One evening Richard was having a party, and I was bringing a bunch of fruit (including a fresh pineapple) in a lavendar colander, so I set it on my head and sashayed into his house a la Carmen Miranda.  The first person I saw was a very dignified elderly man who introduced himself as the auxiliary bishop.  Before I could think of a response that might explain my appearance, he added, "I wish I still had hair like that pineapple!"

Once the auxiliary bishop was telling us how people were always insisting on feeding him and bringing him pies.  Kathbert commented that she should have been a bishop, and the bishop said he had some old vestments she could have.  We laughed heartily, thinking he realized she was Lutheran - and a female - but then he made a comment about her beautiful head of hair.  (To be fair to the bishop, I should point out that he is far from the only person who ever mistook Kathbert for a man.  Even Rich once stopped her as she was about to go into the bathroom at Our Lady of Perpetual Sobriety and said, "Wait - that's the ladies' room!")

When Mr. Why met the auxiliary bishop, he said he liked to eat priests.  Being a bit deaf due to his advanced age, the auxiliary bishop said that was nice, he liked to meet people who liked to meet priests.  Mr. Why said, "You misunderstand - I like to CONSUME priests!" and without missing a beat, the auxiliary bishop said, "You wouldn't want to eat me.  I'm way too skinny.  There's a much plumper priest who lives just down the road from me."

Maybe the auxiliary bishop and Mr. Why are laughing about that right now, wherever they are.

Famous Hat

2 comments:

Hardingfele and Plysj said...

This guy sounds like a riot. Too bad he is in the great beyond. He would have been fun to talk to

Famous Hat said...

He was a lot of fun. Why do you think Rich invited him to his parties?

WV: refor - an abbreviated reform