Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Another Torture Session



Last night Richard Bonomo and I went to work out again. We have very different ideas about working out; mine is to use the elliptical trainer for forty minutes, while his involves lifting weights until you literally cannot lift them anymore. And there are always more machines to use… After my arms were ready to fall off from all the lifting, we went to the lap pool. Once again my ideas are different than his; I like to swim laps at a steady pace for forty minutes, while he wanted me to swim as fast as I could. He noted that I do not like to push myself to my limits, which is true. My motto is: “No pain, no pain.” (I may have stolen that from Garfield; I can’t remember for sure where it came from.)  Other people can climb Mount Everest, but I prefer being warm and comfortable to conquering peaks. And is this really such a bad thing? Someone has to hold down the fort while those other people are climbing Mount Everest.

After the workout, Rich and I went to Jerkins for a high-protein meal. Jerkins now has a healthy menu with low-calorie options, plus they sent me a reusable 20% off coupon in the mail just the other day, plus they are open all the time, so they were the obvious choice. It was a bit on the late side when we got done working out… Today I can barely lift my arms, and if I cough, my chest hurts. Will all this suffering be worth it when I am totally buff? Or is that a lost cause and I am suffering for nothing? On the plus side, I do look surprisingly good today, especially considering how I feel. Exercise does really make a person glow. 

Famous Hat

No comments: