Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Famous Hat in Dublin


So as most of my readers know (because you were there), a very special thing happened to me on Saturday - I became Mrs. Travalon! Since most of you were at the wedding, I won't bore you with details. Let's just say I've never heard so many superlatives in my life. People were telling me I had the most beautiful dress they'd ever seen, the loveliest Mass, the most fun reception, the best wedding band (Light Bright's band), the best cake, etc. They even said I was the calmest bride they had ever seen, which is somewhat astonishing because I felt like a nervous wreck before the whole thing started, as I stood listening to my OTHER choir director play a Bach transcription of a Vivaldi concerto. Tiffy was my maid of honor, Jilly Moose and Luxuli did the readings, Richard Bonomo chanted the psalm, OK Cap and Anna Banana II read the Prayers of the Faithful, Mo-Girl, B-Boy, and A-Fooze brought up the gifts, and Cecil Markovitch and the other B-Boy were ushers. Pa Hat walked me down the aisle in full Scottish regalia, including a kilt and a Prince Charles jacket. Kathbert and Miss Heartsong sang Grancino's "Dulcis Christe" just beautifully. Palm Tree Fan took photos of us at the Arboretum, and then we enjoyed Jamaican food before the 42nd Doctor gave a brief toast and Pa Hat gave a very moving speech about music in marriage. Our first dance was "Fly Me to the Moon," which Astrochick approved of because of all the astronomical references. Then I danced with Pa Hat (and Travalon danced with Ma Hat) to "Beyond the Sea." The coral colors were lovely.

Sunday I opened gifts, and people gave us all kinds of wonderful things. Luxuli gave us an icon she had painted herself, Kathbert gave us beer glasses, Anna Banana II gave us a painting of palm trees, and Richard Bonomo's gift was renting a van to haul the wedding party around on Saturday. Mo-Girl and B-Boy gave us a gorgeous Celtic cross holy water font, and Cecil Markovitch outdid himself with a statue made of forks that holds six shot glasses. (He also gave us an icon and Croatian brandy.) We also got everything on our registry, margarita mix and a blender from my brother, an embroidered pillow made by Ma Hat, and many other wonderful things, not to mention loads of cash, which is helping us now. For example, it costs two euros an hour to blog in this internet cafe. I also said goodbye to Cashmere, who seemed surprisingly sad to see me go, since she never seemed to care if I was around at my house. (Right now she is at Rich's house.)

Yesterday we ran a few errands and then took most of the rest of the day getting down to Chicago and then over to Dublin. We got here around 11 am today Dublin time and immediately got coffee. So far I love Ireland because they have WONDERFUL coffee (even without whiskey in it), and the people are very direct, friendly, and curious, so somewhat like me. I mostly fit in here, except that nobody wears hats, and hardly anyone wears sunglasses, and nobody else is fat. Know why? There are no elevators here - you have to take the stairs everywhere. I don't know what handicapped people do here... So far we have seen the Book of Kells (which is unbelievably beautiful), Trinity College, Christchurch Cathedral, and St. Patrick's. I have taken loads of photos already, and this trip has barely begun! Travalon has taken even more. We have bought some souvenirs and passed a lingerie store earlier, so we're thinking of making another purchase and planning on a fun evening. ;)

Famous Hat

4 comments:

Richard Bonomo said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Hardingfele said...

Oh first blog post from the Emerald Isle. Looking forward for more and especially pictures. And noting the 1st post, glad Cashmere is better. Rich is an excellent bunny caretaker.

Famous Hat said...

Thanks for blowing our cover, Rich. Code names on the blog, remember? Just because you chose to out yourself on my very first post, doesn't mean we all want to be known. Good to hear Cashmere is doing better. Give her a snuggle from me.

Richard Bonomo said...

Reposting:
Glad to see that your arrived safe and sound, and that things are starting well!

BTW, Cashmere seems much better, probably the effect of the medication. I did make it to the gym yesterday and today, and should be there tomorrow (Thursday) AM. For some reason, working out took much longer than usual today. I think I added more free-weight exercises than I realized.

A-Fooze finally got home late last night (Tuesday). Her Monday flight to Chicago got cancelled. Of course, this was not evident until after I dropped her off and after she and all the other passengers were waiting at the gate for a while.

Have a great honeymoon! Safe Journeys! God bless you, Travalon and (the wearer of) FamousHat!