Thursday, May 1, 2014

Dancing the Jitterbug


Know what I would love, besides a new scapular? I’d really love some comments on this blog. If you don’t have a Google identity, you could always email them to me and I’ll post them. It makes me feel better when all the little numbers after “comments” aren’t zeroes. Thanks! And thanks for reading this blog because I have a Very Exciting Announcement: I am going to get paid again! It’s only taken exactly two years. I used the first paycheck I got from this blog to throw a party for many of my loyal readers. This second one will hopefully post before my honeymoon, so I can use it to boost the Irish economy. (Or possibly the Scottish one.) It makes me feel like a professional writer to make about thirteen cents an hour writing this blog.  

Apropos to yesterday’s post about dance class, I was having a conversation with some friends about dancing back in college when I was tiny and a man could easily lift me over his head. A couple of us demonstrated the jitterbug for a beginning ballroom dance class, and indeed the man did lift me over his head and swing me between his legs. That poor man couldn’t do that now without suffering terrible physical damage! One person said back in college she had done a similar move, “and that was the famous clunk that ended my intellectual growth.” I laughed and said, “I’m not laughing AT you, I’m laughing NEAR you,” so then she began to laugh too. She said I could post this story to my blog. It’s amazing how many people used to be that good at the jitterbug; my boss says he also did it in college and accidentally dropped a girl while doing the same move. Maybe I was lucky not to get dropped! Who knew that back in the 90s all the college kids were swinging around wildly and falling on their heads? That might explain a lot about Generation X…

Today my coworkers were going to have a surprise toast for me to congratulate me on my upcoming wedding, but someone spilled the beans not half an hour beforehand. Then this same person told a terrible story about someone she knew getting a divorce before the item she had ordered from their registry arrived, and later Handy Woman told me she ALWAYS tells that story whenever there is a wedding-related fete at our workplace. Speaking of registries, I hear mine has been cleared out, so I will try to get some more stuff on there pronto. Otherwise, you know what I’d love? Besides a scapular? A canoe!

Famous Hat

3 comments:

Travalon said...

The Jitterbug was my mom's favorite dance from back in her era.

Hardingfele said...

Here is a comment. I read faithfully but I dont have anything constructive or witty to say. And I hate word verification

Famous Hat said...

Thanks for the comments!