Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Sick Rabbit


Last night Light Bright and I converged on Richard Bonomo’s house to print out programs. His printer did fine for the first fifty or so, but then it got persnickety, so we went to Kinko’s, where even their printer did not really like the fancy paper. Still, it was so quick and so cheap, I should have just gone there in the first place. Then we folded all the programs, and Light Bright and I made lists of where we have to be when. There’s so much to do in the last few days leading up to the wedding! It’s kind of mind-boggling, and then in a flash it will be all over. I just hope I don’t have to use the restroom right in the middle of the nuptial Mass…

Cashmere my bunny has exquisite timing, and she has chosen now to get sick. I’d noticed she was sneezing a lot lately but had chalked it up to springtime allergies, since those are getting everyone. But then yesterday Hardingfele and I clipped Cashmere’s claws, and we noticed she had gunky discharge from her eye and her nose. I thought it might just be a cold, but Hardingfele was sure it was some terrible bacterial infection called Pasteurella. Luckily my boss is a really understanding guy, and he let me run to the vet for a couple of hours. Cashmere, who is so indifferent to me at home, was totally cuddling up to me at the vet clinic, even trying twice to jump into my lap. It’s nice to know she loves me at least a little. She just has trouble showing it most of the time. The vet prescribed antibiotic eye drops and oral antibiotics that taste like banana, Cashmere’s favorite food. Poor Rich will have to administer them twice a day once I leave for my honeymoon, and believe me, putting drops in Cashmere’s eyes is no picnic. At least she adores Rich, so maybe she will let him hold her. We’ll see if she is feeling better soon… When I brought her home, she was so tired, she just collapsed on the floor. She’s not a young bunny anymore; in a couple of weeks she will be eight and a half years old. Who can say how much more time she has left? I thought she was tougher than Charlie and would last a lot longer, but maybe she is so lonely without him that she has lost her will to live. And now I’m abandoning her for three weeks… Luckily she will have her favorite person, Richard Bonomo, visiting her twice a day. That ought to make her feel a lot better.

Famous Hat

2 comments:

Hardingfele said...

So someone will have to do a bunny med run sometime between the wedding and the reception? I can bring Vinny as the enforcer.

Famous Hat said...

Rich is bringing Cashmere to his house tomorrow so he can take care of her meds and I can focus on the wedding. Thanks, Rich!!!!