Wednesday, May 7, 2014

LOL! U 2!


The other day Travalon’s mother asked me what color Ma Hat was going to wear to our wedding, since she didn’t want to clash with her. She said she was wearing pale blue. I had no idea, so I texted my mom, who texted back that her dress was light mint green according to her, sea foam green according to Pa Hat, and sage according to the label. I said both mothers would be wearing oceanic colors, and Ma Hat said, “We’ll make quite a splash.” I replied “LOL” to acknowledge her pun, and she replied “U 2.” I assume by that she meant “You too,” but that response really makes no sense to “Laugh out loud,” which makes me wonder if she thinks LOL stands for “Love you lots.” There was a textversation posted online where this guy’s mother said, “Your Aunt Esther died. LOL,” and he wanted to know why that was funny. She said it’s not funny, why would he think so? As it turned out, she thought LOL was “Love you lots” and had been texting this to ALL her relatives when notifying them of her sister’s death, so she was going to have to call everyone back and explain. That is the danger of acronyms and abbreviations.

Speaking of death, we just found out a person we work with “up the hill” died unexpectedly. She was not young, having worked there for almost fifty years, but neither was she particularly decrepit, just out of shape. People had been expecting her to retire for years, but someone told me she didn’t have much of a life outside of work so she just kept working to have something to do. How sad! I love my job, but I can’t imagine having nothing else to do. Surely she had some hobbies…? I was going to write a post at some point about her office full of fake flowers, which I’ve always found depressing. You know me – I love REAL plants.

Right now there is an amaryllis in full bloom in my office window. (It usually lives at Richard Bonomo’s house, but I brought it to work for my coworkers to enjoy, since Rich never notices my plants.) Handy Woman said she would take care of my work plants during my honeymoon, and Rich promised to try to take care of my plants at home. He is also going to take Cashmere to his house, so he can more easily administer her meds twice a day. Hopefully the change of scenery doesn’t freak her out too badly, but she was going to leave my current condo anyway, so she might as well adapt now. We’ll see how she feels about the new condo… 

Famous Hat

No comments: