Saturday, May 17, 2014

I'd Rather Be Blogging about This


It's a nonstop adventure blogging in another country. I just had to change my password, and I can't reuse either of the ones I regularly use. Here's hoping I remember this one... Today was another eventful day in Dublin, which is apparently Gaelic for "dark pool," in case you were wondering. We are learning so much on this tour, like did you know that "whiskey" comes from the Gaelic word for water? And that young guys will give a lady their seat on the tram, which they call the Luas, which is Gaelic for "speed"? And the college girls here wear the same tacky black leggings as the ones back home do. This morning we toured a Georgian mansion called Rossbourough House from the 1740's filled with antiques, then we toured the Guinness plant, although not the part where they actually brew the stuff. At the end of the tour we were in a glass tower overlooking Dublin, and we got a free pint to enjoy. Then we took the double-decker tourist bus around town and got off at the museum, where we looked at all kinds of cool artifacts. My favorite were the early Celtic Christianity things, but the prehistoric and Medieval stuff was all really fascinating. Because we are so random, Travalon and I had a light lunch at a Mexican restaurant, then in the evening the group went to dinner and a show. First there was singing, then a guy playing the pipes (I did like that), and then dancing, which is technically Irish dancing in that it is dancing that is taking place in Ireland, but I have seen more authentic Irish dancing in Madtown. The singing was also a lot of stuff that I don't like, for example "When Irish Eyes are Smiling," "Tura Lura," and "Danny Boy." Is this genuine Irish music??? Maybe it is, but I sure don't like it. And the show just kept going on and on... First the singers, then the dancers, then the singers again, then the dancers again, then the singers again... I was sure we were in Purgatory. Afterwards on the bus I said I would rather have been blogging, and Travalon said I should get a shirt that says: "I'd rather be blogging." You know me, I'm a little rude, so I'd like one that says: "I'd rather be blogging about this," and I could hide it under a jacket and then reveal it if things are getting too boring. We wished we had skipped this extravaganza of questionable Celtic culture and gone to Mass, so that will be our adventure tomorrow - finding a Mass in the evening in Cork. Pray that we find one!

Famous Hat

No comments: