Monday, May 5, 2014

Parties: Kentucky Derby and Bachelorette


The countdown continues: only five more days of the single life for me! Then I will be Mrs. Travalon. At that point, my blogging may get somewhat sporadic while we are on our honeymoon, but I will try to check in now and then. It depends on how many of our hotels have free internet, and how much free time I have. Watch this space for pictures of Ireland and Scotland, probably in June.

Saturday Travalon, Tiffy, and I watched the Kentucky Derby at the Great Dane in Fitchburg while drinking mint juleps and eating bourbon pecan pie and (in my case) wearing a big fabulous hat. Though I must admit my Famous Hat is not as fabulous as some of the hats we saw there, many of which matched their wearers’ outfits. Of course, my Famous Hat matches every outfit. Then Travalon went to Smokey’s Steakhouse with Twins Fan, Prairie Man, and Richard Bonomo, while I went to dinner at Brocach with Tiffy, the Rosary Ladies (Luxuli, Jilly Moose, and OK Cap), and Catzookz, who bought us all a round of drinks. She didn’t come with us to Le Tigre Lounge, but Travalon joined us, and we stayed out way too late but weren’t really rowdy. Bachelorette parties are so much tamer when we’re all middle-aged.

Sunday Tiffy and I managed to get up in time for Mass somehow, then after brunch she headed to Home Depot with Rich and Luxuli while I headed to the Five O’s to see Travalon and his mother. We took a ride out to Holy Hill and lit some candles for prayer intentions, then we stopped by Travalon’s brother’s house, which is very cool. It has a spiral staircase not unlike the one in the condo that will soon be ours, and the outside is all stone. The downstairs is a studio for Travalon’s sister-in-law, who makes jewelry. Travalon’s dad created the plans for the house years ago but never used them, so his brother asked to have them, and he built the house. He was complaining about all the maintenance a house needs, which made us glad we’re getting a condo. Then Travalon and I had dinner at a restaurant called Spinnaker’s that looks over Lake Labelle.

This morning after our calisthenics, Rich went to the weight machines and I followed him, although on Mondays we do aerobics instead of weight training. I felt like doing weights instead; it’s easier. When Luxuli arrived, she said, “Isn’t it Monday? Shouldn’t we be doing aerobics?” They both looked at me, so I said, “I didn’t say anything because I’d rather do weights.” Luxuli said, “You’re like a little girl trying to get away with something,” and I said, “Daddy didn’t notice it was past my bedtime.” Since we had already started weight training, we continued with that, which means tomorrow we'll have to do aerobics. Ugh, or should I say UGGH?

Famous Hat

3 comments:

Travalon said...

Great weekend ! Glad you enjoyed the Holy Hill excursion and visit to my brothers' house also. That Kentucky Derby party at the bar was a unique little side story also. Yes, I think bachelor parties for guys are more mellow with middle-age too. Just to get out and eat some great food with some friends is nice enough for both of us ! Spinnakers is the Capt. Bill's of Oconomowoc. Great seafood and lake views.

Travalon said...

Some of your readers who are well rooted in Madison may not remember that the Five-O's is another name for Oconomowoc, WI. The locals here also refer to it as Cooney. Yes, the town name is a mouthful, it means "Place of Falling Waters" in Native American language. Maybe the dam between Fowler Lake and Lac La Belle was a natural waterfall at one time. Try checking in at a hotel down south and see how wacky they can spell it on the reservation..

Famous Hat said...

My boss was telling me today that he has been to the Kentucky Derby twice, and despite its genteel appearance on TV, it is quite rowdy there, with live bands and lots of drinking. He said at one point people started racing across the tops of the Port-a-Potties. They sure don't show that on TV!