Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Calla Lily Seeds


My black calla lily still has one bloom that is going strong, and when I inspected it, it appears to be producing seeds. So I did what anyone would do in my position: I looked on the internet to find out how hard it is to grow calla lilies from seed. The answer is: not hard at all. They did agree that with these newer cultivars, you never know what you are going to get. That only made me more curious to try. After all, it’s unlikely my calla lily got pollinated sitting in my office, since there aren’t really bugs around, so it probably got pollinated back at the grocery store where I bought it. And since there were all sorts of other colors of calla lilies sitting around it, who knows where the pollen came from? Not like I know enough about calla lily genetics to know if pink or yellow would be dominant over black, or vice versa. And like I need another plant, right? But now I’m too curious. I have to try growing a baby calla lily and give it three years to mature enough to bloom, and then I’ll let my 5.6 regular readers know what color the bloom is. Maybe I’ll even have a working camera by then and so could post a picture.

Famous Hat

No comments: