Monday, July 21, 2014

Brand New Canoe


Sorry for my lack of blogging on Friday, but I was busy hanging out on the Union Terrace with Tiffy, the Daughter of Dennii, and various other people. In the evening we went to a concert of 14th century music that was not ars nova, and in fact it was really appealing. See? I knew they had good music back in 1370! I walked downtown from my job in an effort to burn 500 extra calories, and then we walked all over downtown. Do you know it takes two hours of moderate speed walking to burn that many calories? Who has that kind of time? Maybe I should just walk to work…

Tiffy slept in the loft in our new condo, and she wanted to do a very reasonable thing: turn off the light in the loft while leaving the ceiling fan running. However, we could not find a switch or cord that would do that. Finally Travalon took off the glass globe around the light bulb so we could unscrew it… and the cord was there, inside the globe. What kind of ridiculous setup is that?

Saturday Tiffy and I hung out with Handy Woman all day in her lovely backyard. Some other people came for lunch, like another coworker and her family, Travalon, and Handy Woman’s sister, but they all left eventually. We were going to go to the Art Fair in Mount Horrible, but sitting in the shade talking and drinking iced tea was just so much more fun, even if I was supposed to burn those extra 500 calories. Then we went to the final concert of the Early Music Festival with the Daughter of Dennii, and afterwards we saw Luxuli and Prairie Man, so we all went to Portabella’s for some sangria, and Richard Bonomo joined us. I really enjoyed going to the Early Music Festival as just an audience member, not a participant, but maybe next year I’ll have the extra brain cells to devote to participation.

Yesterday Travalon and I joined Tiffy, the Daughter of Dennii, and a bunch of their college friends for brunch at the Flying Hound, then Travalon and I took Rodney the Poodle to the Union Terrace. We hoped to rent a canoe there, but they don’t allow dogs – or small children – in them. So we went and bought our own canoe and took it out for an inaugural paddle. I had bought some brand new sneakers at Maxwell Street Days and thought they were SO white and shiny it was a little obnoxious, but as I was getting into the canoe, I fell out, so the shoes got full of muck. Now they look normal. Canoeing burns a lot of calories, so if Travalon and I canoe every evening, I should easily burn those extra 500 calories per day. Watch for future posts about our canoeing adventures.

Famous Hat

No comments: