Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Completing Irish in Duolingo


Last night I had a lot of calories to burn off, but I am growing tired of my usual “running” songs. Then I had an idea: since it was Bach’s birthday, and Baroque music is often quite frenetic, I could try running to some of his music. I had a particular harpsichord concerto in mind but thought for some reason that it was a two-harpsichord concerto, so I googled that and found one in C minor. It wasn’t the one I was thinking of, but it was definitely quite familiar, so I ran to it. Then I realized the one I like, besides being in D minor, is only for one harpsichord, and I soon found it. As conducted by Trevor Pinnock, it is definitely at a good speed for running to! I ran so hard, I easily burned off all those calories. Maybe now that I am sick of all my favorite house music and salsa music, I’ll need to run to Baroque music!

This morning I “finished” Duolingo, in that I completed the final lesson in Irish. I thought maybe something spectacular would happen, but all that happened was that a golden version of the owl (the Duolingo mascot) appeared at the bottom of the screen. What a letdown! I didn’t even get more than my usual two lingots (Duolingo currency that you can use for very little) for finishing a lesson. Still, I am tempted to try my hand at another language, but which one? Something I don’t know at all, like Welsh? Or should I brush up on Spanish or French? Feel free to leave your thoughts in the comments section. 

Famous Hat

2 comments:

Richard Bonomo said...

German or Swedish?

Famous Hat said...

So you are advocating taking on a whole new language family? The Germanic languages are ones I am not very familiar with, except for English, and this is the weirdest Germanic language ever.