Monday, October 24, 2016

Is the Curse of the Billy Goat Broken?

I hope my readers got outside to enjoy the gorgeous weather this weekend. Friday evening Travalon went to a high school football game while I went to a Newbie Ukulele jam. It was at someone’s very beautiful house, and we played hard for an hour – I got a blister on my thumb from strumming! – and then we sat around talking and drinking wine and eating cheese and lemon bars. It was a lot of fun, but I was a good two decades younger than everyone else. Retirees seem to love to take up the ukulele. Why not? It is an easy instrument, and a lot of fun.

Saturday Travalon and I had brunch at the Norske Nook, since his new project is to try every one of their pies, then we got on the road with Rodney to Prairie du Chien, listening to the Badger game as we drove. Just as we reached town, the Badgers beat Iowa! We went for a hike at Wyalusing State Park, then we went to another tavern from our book – we are now down to nine taverns to visit! This one had the friendliest proprietors yet and very delicious pizza. Then as we drove back, we found an AM station to listen to the Cubs game. I am not a hardcore fan, but Ma Hat’s side of the family are all fans so I am somewhat of one, and I do love Wrigley Field. We knew if they won this game, they would be in the World Series for the first time in 71 years, and they were on fire! The pitcher dispatched the Dodgers hitters so fast that they were already in the eighth inning by the time we got home. They won 5-0!! Maybe the Curse of the Billy Goat is broken…? We’ll see if they can win it all for the first time since 1908.

Yesterday was a lot of fun. Jilly Moose came to Mass, so she, Travalon, and I went to the East Side Club for brunch, since the president of the club had told us they have Sunday brunch, but the place was all locked. We went to the Daisy CafĂ©, but they had a very long wait, so we ended up going back to Plaka, and we were very happy with that choice. Travalon and I went for a boat ride back in the marsh, then we went to a ukulele singalong at the Sun Prairie Library, and then we played tennis. I am very out of practice and was winded after twenty minutes, and of course various neighbors kept happening by and watching us, which was embarrassing. It was still a ton of fun. We took Rodney for a hike along the marsh, and then in the evening we went to Rich’s house for a birthday party for Kathbert and the Single B-Boy. It was a small party: just Cecil Markovitch, my OTHER choir director, and a woman I hadn’t seen in ages but actually gave a shout-out to on this blog back in 2008. She said she has been living in New Mexico and Missouri since then, but now she is back, so she may end up with a name on this blog.

Famous Hat

No comments: