Friday, December 16, 2016

Christmas Party at the East Side Club


Last night Travalon and I went to the East Side Club’s Christmas party for members. As soon as we got there, someone bought us each a drink to thank us for being such loyal members. Maybe they are just excited to have some Gen-Xers come to things regularly; everyone else seems to be Baby Boomers or older. Travalon and I spent some time talking to a World War II vet who was amazingly well preserved, but then his 98-year-old sister who looks 75 and her 71-year-old daughter who looks 58 or so would seem to indicate they come from fortunate genetic stock. This guy used to sell beer at the big East Side Club Festival that used to happen in the 60’s (and maybe the 70’s?) until insurance regulations became too onerous. He said it was a great time, with all sorts of rides for the kids. I had heard of it before and wish I could have gone myself, but I’m not entirely clear this festival even happened during my lifetime.

During dinner Travalon and I sat with a friendly couple who play bocce ball at the Club in the summer, and the wife said she would give my contact information to some friends who form a team every year. Dinner was roast beef with salad, mashed potatoes, and a vegetable medley, although our tablemate had ordered the vegetarian entrée and she got a delicious-looking red pepper stuffed with couscous. I hadn’t even realized they had a vegetarian option! Dessert was apple pie, and we got wine with dinner and Tom and Jerrys after dinner, so I was a bit tipsy. Fortunately we were there quite a while, singing Christmas carols and then dancing to a guy singing and playing the keyboard. He could make the keyboard do this creepy thing where he sang into it and it sounded like he was singing in harmony with himself in thirds. Yikes! Travalon and I really had a lot of fun, even if we were the youngest ones there. Those Baby Boomers still know how to party!

Famous Hat

No comments: