Thursday, July 27, 2017

Air Show Sightings


I forgot to mention in my last blog post that both on the way up to Green Bay and on the way back we saw all sorts of small aircraft flying into Oshkosh for the EAA show. One looked like it was barely staying aloft; people fly all sorts of experimental aircraft to the show. On the way back we saw about twenty people parachuting over the airfield. They looked like fermatas in the air to me, because the parachutes were curved over them and then each person’s body was like a dot. If you don’t know what a fermata is, it is a symbol like an upside-down smile with a dot in the middle that is put over a musical note to designate that it should be held longer than its usual value, generally until the director decides. Or as someone I once knew used to say, “I’m a fermata – hold me!” Anyway, it was quite something to see all those people parachuting – I was afraid they would run into each other! They looked really close together. Presumably they know what they are doing and did not crash into each other. All I can say is that you could not pay me enough to jump out of a perfectly good airplane. If the plane were going down and bailing out with a parachute were my only good option, then I would consider it.

Famous Hat

No comments: