Tuesday, July 25, 2017

Trip to Green Bay


I hope my readers had a good weekend. I had a wonderful one, starting with Friday, when Travalon caught a catfish at Tenney Park and cooked it for dinner. Mmm! Then we braved the storm to join Hockey Girl at the Lakeside Café to listen to classical guitar.

Saturday morning Travalon and I went to the Beatles Brunch at the Rigby Tavern, which had good food but didn’t seem particularly Beatles-oriented. They were playing all sorts of music in the background, like U2, but no Beatles. We sat outside anyway, where you couldn’t hear the music. The plan after that had been to take a canoe trip with Rich up the Yahara River, but Rich said storms could arise unexpectedly, and I did not want to be on the river in a canoe if a storm blew up. My coworker told me just the day before about how her next-door neighbor was killed by lightning while canoeing! Instead Rich, Travalon, Kathbert, and I went to the zoo, and Cali joined us. In the evening Travalon and I joined Rich and Twins Fan for dinner at Oliva, a Mediterranean restaurant, and then we saw Dunkirk, the brand-new movie about the World War II evacuation of the British army by a fleet of privately owned boats. It was really good.

Sunday Travalon and I had brunch at Crema Café, sitting outside, then we went to the Hop Garden in Paoli to join the Daughter of Denni and a bunch of her friends and relatives in listening to several bands, including one she plays in and another one that her brother-in-law (who we also heard on Friday) plays in. Afterwards Travalon and I wanted to go for a hike in Belleville, but the park there is flooded after all this rain, so we headed back to town and had dinner at Waypoint, a restaurant in Monona overlooking the Yahara River just before it empties into Upper Mud Lake. It has a great view of the Beltline too, which is a lot cooler than it sounds. At that point the Beltline is going over a bridge. Then we went to the Nine Springs Nature Area and took a long walk. We saw lots of birds, especially Canada geese, but also cranes and ducks and a kingfisher. Maybe we should take up birdwatching…

Yesterday I took the day off of work, and Travalon, Jilly Moose, OK Cap, and I drove up to Green Bay to go to the annual shareholders’ meeting. We sat out in the sun in Lambeau Field, so I got a little sunburned, but I did find all that financial information kind of interesting, actually. Then we had lunch at Titletown Brewery and enjoyed some of their beer up on the rooftop patio, with a fantastic view of the river and downtown. We went to the animal sanctuary at Bay Beach and saw lots of birds of prey and native mammals, many of which were either injured or too tame to be released into the wild. On the way back we stopped in Fond du Lac and climbed the lighthouse for a beautiful view of the sunset over Lake Winnebago, and we had dinner at an old-fashioned drive-in called Gilles. What a fun day! 

Famous Day

No comments: