Tuesday, July 18, 2017

Minding My Own Business


Yesterday Travalon and I took a short evening ride in our boat, and first we went out into the lake, but there were some big waves. We went back into the marsh and saw a couple of girls canoeing, maybe college-aged, without any urgency. One was fishing. I wondered if we should warn them that darkness was falling faster than they might have realized, and that it would be VERY dark in the marsh soon, thinking of how foolish I could be at that age. In the end we didn’t say anything to them, but I still wonder if they came to their senses and got out of the marsh before darkness fell completely. They were quite far from anywhere that you could put in with a canoe, so I would have felt better if they were clearly heading in a specific direction instead of lazily paddling about in the growing twilight. It’s so hard to know when to mind your own business and when to impart your perhaps greater knowledge acquired from so many more years of existence. After all, I can easily imagine myself in my early 20’s hanging out too long in the marsh and then having to paddle back frantically in the dark! But then I imagine how I would have felt at that age having some nosy middle-aged woman tell me to hurry up and get out of the marsh, so you can see my dilemma now that I am that woman.

Famous Hat

No comments: