Wednesday, August 30, 2017

Popular Music for Decades


Last night Travalon and I watched a video that purported to show the #1 song on the Billboard charts from 1940-2016, but unfortunately it didn’t say what the song was or who performed it. It just played a little snippet of each one. The early ones left us completely mystified, although we had heard some of them before. By the late 50’s Elvis dominated the chart, and by the 60’s we knew all the songs except the #1 song for 1960, which was an instrumental that Travalon thought sounded familiar, but I had never heard before. In the 90’s Travalon no longer recognized the songs, but I knew all of them up until the present, because I continue to listen to whatever is popular. Surprisingly, Michael Jackson never had the #1 song any year, although he seemed to dominate the charts in the mid-80’s. However, his sister Janet had two of them. Mariah Carey showed up several times in the 90’s and 00’s and then handed her crown over to Rihanna. I was trying to figure out if there was a pattern of fast or slow songs, but I couldn’t detect one. Ballads and dance numbers were popular in every decade. Oddly, when I looked for a chart online to figure out what some of the older songs were, it didn’t completely correspond with the video. You would think there was only one official Billboard charting system…

Famous Hat

No comments: