Wednesday, August 2, 2017

Long Mallards Game


Last night Travalon, Jilly Moose, OK Cap, and I went to a Mallards game. This one was a fundraiser for the Overture Center, so we had to pay a little more for our tickets, but we did get hats. Of course, they are exactly like the hats we got when my work group went to a Mallard game earlier this summer. The game went very quickly because of the amazing defensive playing on both sides (they were playing the Kenosha Kingfish), and also the pitching. In the ninth inning both teams were scoreless. Late in the game I discovered that some coworkers of mine were sitting at the end of our row, and they had even been looking for me, but we somehow hadn’t seen each other until that point. In the bottom of the tenth, the Mallards had the bases loaded and three outs, and the batter hit a pop-up fly that was easily caught, so they went into an eleventh inning. We headed home at that point, but one of my coworkers stayed for the eleventh inning, and he said the Mallards again had the bases loaded because the Kenosha pitcher was exhausted and kept walking them, then a batter hit something deep into right field that nobody caught, and the guy on third got home so the game was over. It sounds exciting, but we were so tired!

I have to say that at first I thought the Kingfish’s logo was brilliant: it is a round fish with gills that look like baseball stitching, so it is a baseball AND a fish, plus it is wearing a crown so it is a king too. But then I was thinking that there is no such thing as a kingfish, and a kingfisher is a bird, so it lost some of its luster for me. Here it is, so you can see for yourself: 



Famous Hat

No comments: