Monday, August 21, 2017

Solar Eclipse Party at Work


Sorry for my silence. I suffered through a medical procedure on Wednesday, some minor outpatient surgery. It wasn’t until the afternoon, so I couldn’t eat or drink anything all day. Travalon took me on a boat ride, and out in the sunshine I didn’t feel any hunger or thirst. Then I had to sit in this boring little room with just a TV to keep me company, and I found a channel that played horrid New Agey piano music with beautiful visuals of mountain lakes. I thought, “I would love to canoe there! And there too!” Then they took me to the operating room and put me under, and the next thing I knew, I was waking up from the most beautiful dream of canoeing on one of those mountain lakes. I wanted to go back! They made me drink a ton of water and eat some delicious wheat toast slathered in butter, then eventually they let Travalon take me home, and we had a quiet evening.

Thursday I wasn’t allowed to drive, work, or make any important decisions. At first I felt fine, but as the day wore on, some painkiller must have worn off, because by the time Travalon came home I felt a lot more tired and achy. We went for a walk and then went to a cottage party at the East Side Club, where we sat with a family that had an adorable nine-month-old baby girl, so that was fun.

Friday I felt even worse, so Travalon stayed home with me in the afternoon and took me on a therapeutic boat ride. I was way too tired to go to the Dane Dance, even if it was one of my favorite salsa bands. Instead we went to the movie Megan Leavey, the true story of a Marine in Iraq and her bomb-sniffing dog, and how she tries to get reunited with him after the war. It was really good.

Saturday I started to feel more human, so Travalon and I went to visit his mother, then we took a free pontoon boat shuttle across the lake to an art fair. We looked at art and listened to some African drumming, then we took the boat back across the lake and headed home. We met some friends for a quiet dinner, then we went for a walk around Tiedemann Pond, and I got my usual 10,000 steps for the day for the first time in days. That felt good!

Yesterday we had a busier day. We went with Hockey Girl to Wollersheim, since she had never been there, and she took the winery tour while Travalon and I took a tour of the new distillery. We had the most amazing cocktail there of their apple brandy, cherry syrup, and cream soda. So good! Then Hockey Girl and I went to a sunflower maze and just wandered around in the cheery flowers while Travalon went to a little zoo in Baraboo. He really liked it and took us to it once we made our way out of the sunflowers. Then we went to Devil’s Lake. We also took the Merrimac Ferry there and back, since Hockey Girl had never been on it. It was such a beautiful day, and on the way over we had ice cream on the ferry – Zanzibar chocolate is the best!

Today I felt a little sad that I had no plans to go see the eclipse someplace where you could see the totality, and we couldn’t even find eclipse glasses, although we had been looking for three weeks. However, at work tons of people had glasses, and so we all stood around and looked at it. The sun looked like a very thin crescent moon. It was kind of like an eclipse party! I hope my readers got to enjoy the eclipse as well. Nature is so amazing!

Famous Hat

No comments: