Thursday, August 24, 2017

Possibly Bad Band News


Yesterday my band practiced for the first time in over a month, and we were a little rusty. I would blame it on playing the ukulele, balalaika, bouzouki, etc., except that I haven’t been good about that either. Remember my Hundred Day Challenge that was set to end next Wednesday? Somehow I lost interest about halfway through it. Maybe I’ll try to take it back up in the winter, when there isn’t so much to do outside. Who wants to practice the mountain dulcimer when you can play tennis or go boating? I’m not sure what the future of our band will be either, because yesterday our leader told us she may be moving to another state. Will we continue on without her or just fall apart? That remains to be seen…

After practice Travalon and I played tennis before dinner, and that was a lot of fun. We both seem to be slowly improving. Then we sat out on our screened-in porch and listened to music. He had discovered the Isley Brothers, so I suggested that he might like the Brothers Johnson, and we listened to a couple of their songs, “Stomp” and “Strawberry Letter Twenty-Two.” I said if he liked funk he might like Parliament, and we listened to the ultimate funk song, “Flashlight.” I don’t think Travalon knew quite what to think of it, since it is SO funky, but he said he kind of liked it. That’s even better than what he says about tennis, which he “almost” likes, and he will certainly play it with me. Not that I am trying to turn Travalon into a clone of me, but after all he discovered the Isley Brothers on his own, and I will certainly not object if he is willing to play tennis and listen to funky music!

Famous Hat

No comments: