Wednesday, July 10, 2019

Colleagues



Last night at the Early Music Festival they showed the Lon Chaney silent movie The Hunchback of Notre Dame with an early music group playing 14th Century music to accompany it. They did a fantastic job – the music totally fit with the movie, although it was supposed to be set in the 15th century. The leader of the group explained that 14th Century French music was more dramatic, and therefore better suited to accompany a dramatic silent movie. I loved the costumes that the women in the movie wore.

One great thing about my current job is that I finally feel like I have colleagues, in the sense of people who do a similar job. You know how you have people in your life who aren’t exactly friends but are bus buddies, work buddies, etc. These aren’t direct coworkers but people who have a similar job to mine, but in a different department. There are meetings for people with our concerns, so we see a lot of each other. Of course my colleague up in Asian Languages is bordering on becoming an actual friend, since we see so much of each other and are very close in age, and I also am getting reacquainted with someone I knew many years ago from a previous sphere, when we were both active in a Medieval reenactment society. (I always say I was in a Renaissance band, since the music we played was late Renaissance and not Medieval, although after the movie last night, I can’t imagine why. There’s some awesome Medieval French music that doesn’t seem too difficult to play, which was always their excuse.) She was more of a cooker and sewer in the group than a musician herself. Just today there were two work meetings we both attended. And she goes by Famous too, although that is her middle name - she has a more unusual first name. Those are the people I tend to sit with at meetings, but I am getting to know a bunch of my colleagues. Sometime I will blog about the congress and the people I have met there, but that is a post for another day.

Famous Hat


No comments: