Monday, July 15, 2019

Early Music and a Mallards Game



I hope my readers had a good weekend. Mine started Thursday night, when Travalon and I went to the East Side Club to see Banana Wind, a Jimmy Buffet cover band. The weather was perfect, and the band was excellent. When the Daughter of Denni had asked what I was doing that night, since there was also an Early Music dance party, I said something she would not approve of. She said, “Something religious?” since she is a devout atheist. I said, “No worse,” and she laughed and couldn’t imagine what that would be, but I happened to know she detests Jimmy Buffet, so I said, “We’re going to see a Jimmy Buffet cover band.” She said, “You’re right – that is worse, but that was a hell of a lead-in.”

Friday I took the day off of work, and Handy Woman gave me a tour of the press’s new home in the university library. Most people were on vacation, so I only got to say hi to a few of my old coworkers. Then she and I met Rich, Tiffy, and the Daughter of Denni for lunch at the food carts on Library Mall. She and Rich had to go back to work, but the rest of us went to the Participant Concert at the Early Music Festival, where various classes show off what they have been working on all week. Afterwards a bunch of us (including Denni himself) hung out on the Union Terrace, then some of us had dinner at a Thai restaurant before the concert, which was a German vocal ensemble called Calmus. They were incredible! And the soprano and tenor had the cutest eight-year-old daughter who joined us in the audience.

Saturday Travalon and I met Tiffy and Rich for coffee at the new place in the old hat shop building, then Tiffy and I joined Denni’s family to see his granddaughter perform at Girls Rock Camp. The girls (between 8-18 years of age) have one week to master instruments and write a song, and her group was the youngest, with a song called “I Wrote This Song.” They were very cute, and she looked like she was having the best time playing keyboards onstage. Some of the older groups wrote surprisingly catchy tunes. Afterwards Tiffy, the Daughter of Denni, and I walked to Fete de Marquette and briefly watched a Cajun band, but it was very hot so we walked to the Avenue Bar for ice cream drinks. We went to Sujeo, a Korean restaurant, for dinner, and then Tiffy and I caught the bus back to campus to see the closing concert of the Early Music Festival, where all the participants perform. I have never seen so many cornettoes on stage at once! They did a lot of Schuetz and Monteverdi, and a different version of Allegri’s Miserere than the one I always hear. The small chorus was in the balcony behind us, so that it did sound as if their voices were coming from heaven. The sound of the huge orchestra and choir is really something amazing to hear, and Tiffy says this is always her favorite concert of the festival.

Yesterday Travalon and I went to Flix Brewpub to see Toy Story 4, a very sophisticated story for a children’s movie. I cried through half of it and laughed at the rest of it. It was so good! We had never been to this movie theater before, and they bring beer and food to your seat. My kiwi sour beer was fine, but Travalon’s honey beer was amazing. One of the regulars at the Early Music Festival, a buddy of Denni’s from college days, has Mallards season tickets and he couldn’t attend the game yesterday, so he gave them to us. We missed the top of the first inning, but good thing, because our Mallards gave up five runs, so who wants to see that? They never caught up and ended up losing 9-5. We aren’t Game of Throne fans (have never actually seen it), so at first we didn’t care about the Minnie of Dragons bobble heads, but the people around us all had them, and they were so cute. After the game we begged for one, and they did give us one. Minnie sitting on the Iron Throne, surrounded by dragons, is a perfect companion for our other Mallards bobble head of Maynard sitting on a unicorn that is pooping out a rainbow. As Travalon can tell you, I am not a huge fan of bobble heads of real people (the one I saw of Davante Adams was terrifying and looked nothing like him), but I find that I do enjoy bobble heads of cute ducks with mythical creatures!

Famous Hat


No comments: