Tuesday, July 23, 2019

Garden Report July 2019



The other day I was reading a discussion about sexism in the way presidential candidates are described by the press, and one person commented that he didn’t like “identity politics,” and he wanted someone who could “represent everyone.” I found this extremely patronizing because it implies that a white man can represent everyone fairly but, say, a black woman can’t. Also, I would say that looking around at our world, the white men in power have in fact made decisions that most benefit white men, and if there were more variety in the people in government, while each person might be advocating for people most like themselves, at least we would have a variety of advocates. It reminds me of a science cartoon I saw once that said: “This is proven to cause cancer in rats and white males.” Exactly. Why is “white male” always the default? If you were basing it on reality, the default should probably be “Asian female” worldwide, and “white female” in this country since there are more women than men. How about we make the default “human” and then elect a wide variety of people to cover the spectrum?

Last night I went to the community garden, and it was like a paradise on earth: people had planted tall flowers along their borders, and birds flew back and forth and landed on the fences in front of me while butterflies flitted past. I found my own plot was quite weedy in the short space of time I had neglected it. In fact, it was so weedy that only after pulling out a bunch of weeds did I realize a flame-colored calla lily was blooming. Here’s a rundown of what is working and what isn’t, if this helps anyone with future gardening attempts:

Seeds: Pumpkin, oregano, and chives never even sprouted. Squash is too small to produce anything yet. Radishes were incredible but are all done now, so I just planted turnip seeds in their place. Carrots and beets look happy, but I can’t tell if they are ready for harvest yet. Swiss chard and two kinds of lettuce have been productive. Corn and green beans are going nuts but aren’t ready for harvest. The pepper plants I started inside are like bonsai plants; they are very happy, but very small. I can’t see them producing peppers any time soon. I do have a zucchini that may be ready to harvest.

Starter plants: Eggplants and tomatoes are hopeless. Broccoli and Brussel sprouts are very happy but haven’t produced anything yet. Last night I got a ton of ground cherries and several strawberries, and there appears to be a new baby ground cherry plant. I have gotten so much kale from my two kale plants! The collard and cauliflower are still too small to say how they will do, but to be fair I planted them later in the season. The onions I got from Rich’s garden do not seem as happy in my plot. So far I have had one patty pan squash, and another looks close to ready. There are a couple of spaghetti squashes not quite ready for harvest yet.

House plants: The black and white calla lilies are done blooming. The flame one just started. The pineapple lily has never sprouted, but maybe the bulb was dead. The plant that was some unusual kind of amaryllis apparently rotted because of all the rain, but the two regular amaryllis have leaves and appear happy. Hopefully nobody complains about my planting houseplants in my plot…

Famous Hat


No comments: