Wednesday, December 18, 2019

Just Bach Christmas Concert



Today was the last Just Bach concert of the semester, and it was also something of a Christmas concert. Usually we the audience spend most of the time listening to the concert, but today we sang – a lot! We sang a bunch of the chorales from the Christmas Oratorio, and honestly it felt a lot more like Christmas music than the secular tripe they are playing on all the radio stations right now, even if I associate the tune of one of the chorales more with Lent, when we sing it to the words “O Sacred Head Now Wounded.” I really love that one, and the one we sing for Advent with the words “Savior of the Nations Come.” Kathbert came too, and sang alto, but I only sang alto on the chorale that I actually know the alto part for, since it was too much for my brain to handle both sight-reading the alto line and figuring out the German pronunciation. Pete the Sailor Man was there too, and the former Lute Player and Banjo Player who needs a new blog name now. I could just call her The Professor…

My band will be playing at the airport on Sunday from 3-5, if anyone has a deep need to hang out at airport to hear free music. We will not be playing our usual repertoire of folk music from America, Ireland, and Scandinavia but all Christmas stuff, of course. Including the Sussex Carol, which in my opinion is the most underrated Christmas carol of all. Why doesn’t everyone know it?

Famous Hat


No comments: