Monday, September 27, 2021

Pewit's Nest and Crane Foundation

 

Yesterday I wasn't feeling that well during Mass, and at brunch Rich commented that I didn't look well. We didn't have Irish class because at the same time there was a program about old Irish tales which I forgot to sign up for in time, so I told Travalon we had lots of time to wander. We decided to go to Lake Wisconsin, and first we stopped at the dam in Sauk.


We stopped by the monastery outside of Sauk to leave a donation, and I wasn't going to take yet another rosary, but they had made a bunch of new ones so I looked through them and found a beautiful coral one. It looked like it might glow under blacklight - and it does! Photos soon... We also went to the park in Merrimac from which you can see most of Lake Wisconsin.


Then I suggested that we go to Pewit's Nest. My classmate from my previous Irish class had mentioned hiking there, and we had passed it once in our wanderings. We quickly found it, just west of Baraboo on Highway W, and found it was a beautiful grotto with a waterfall.





We also hiked up to look at it from above.



After that walk I felt much better, so we went to the International Crane Foundation, since we are members and can go whenever we want for no charge. The sarus cranes suddenly began calling and dancing, but we didn't get a video of it - it happened too suddenly. Here is a photo of them.


The blue cranes danced for us too. Travalon got a video of that, which I will post at some point.


I really love the black crowned crane.


Here is one of the demoiselle cranes.


At first we didn't see the wattled cranes, but then they came out of their house to see us.



I think these are Eurasian cranes. I can't find the map right now.


The red-crowned crane is so photogenic.



It looks like the crane is listening to us! We felt sorry for it because it was all alone, so we were talking to it.


This brolga (an Australian crane) was not out when we went in July, but yesterday it poked its head out to look at us.


This is the black-necked crane, an Asian crane.


And this is one of the whooping cranes. They are so beautiful and snowy white.


Then we came home and watched the Packers game. At first both the offense and defense were looking good, and they were up 17-0 at halftime. Of course the offense did that thing where they stall in the third quarter, and then the defense couldn't stop the Forty Niners, so they kept getting touchdowns. They were up by a point with 37 seconds left, and the Packers had no time outs left, but Rodgers threw to Adams and got the ball far enough down the field for Crosby to work his magic and kick a field goal as time ran out. Packers by two points!! People were calling it a "walk-off win," and I'm very familiar with walk-off homers in baseball, but I'd never heard of a walk-off win in football before. But that's what it was!


Famous Hat


No comments: