Thursday, January 20, 2022

Steak Night at Smokey's

 

There is a venerable supper club in town called Smokey's which is closing at the end of February, and so everyone in town (and quite a few people from out of town) are going to it one last time. I had only been there once, when Tiffy and I took Rich there for his fiftieth birthday, but Travalon has been a couple of times with the guys when they do their Guys' Steak Nights. Rich arranged a co-ed Steak Night for the Night Prayer regulars, and Travalon, Jilly Moose, the Dairyman's Daughter, the Single B-Boy, and of course Rich and I went tonight. Smokey's is a classic steakhouse where they put a glass full of raw vegetables on the table, which they call the "relish dish," and of course a basket of dinner rolls and garlic toast. Jilly Moose and I started off with the classic supper club drink of a brandy old-fashioned sweet, while Travalon had his favorite cocktail (Seven and Seven), and the Single B-Boy had a martini. Then we all got steaks; I got the smallest steak on the menu, which came with two scallops, and I had soup and broccoli for my sides. The men all got the New York strip steak. After such a classic dinner, Travalon and I thought we should really end it with the classic ice cream drink, the grasshopper. However, I had two bites and realized how completely full I was, so luckily everyone else at the table helped Travalon finish it, except for the Single B-Boy, who doesn't really like sweet stuff. That's got to be a good problem to have! It was a very large, very green ice cream drink.

As Travalon and I drove home, I noticed that the extremely decorated house in a neighborhood we pass still seemed to be decorated, so Travalon took a detour by it. They have toned it down a little.


For reference, here is the toned-up photo:


Further down the street we noticed a house with a lit-up palm tree in front of it, which I had not seen before. Makes sense, since it's not really a Christmas decoration, so maybe they put it up to have something tropical in the depths of winter. However, just as we noticed it, they turned it off, so no photo.


Famous Hat


No comments: