Monday, January 3, 2022

The Big Five-Oh

 

Yesterday our usual brunch spot was closed for the day, so we went to Fair Trade instead. It was a very cold day, so Travalon and I went for a walk at East Towne Mall. Then Tiffy came to town, so the three of us went to Rich's house to help him prepare for my blacklight birthday party. Check out my neon outfit under regular light.


Travalon wore his glow-in-the-dark shirt, also from Mercer (the Loon Capital of the World).


And here is my outfit glowing under blacklight.


Of course Blogspot loaded these photos in reverse order again. Tonight we went to see the elaborate light display down on the southwest side of town, but last night was its last night for this Christmas season. We drove through the neighborhood and found this decorated bike in someone's yard.


This is the 3D printed image my nephew made for us for Christmas, sitting in our window.


And this is me today, at fifty. Do I even look a day past forty-nine?


Back to photos from the party. These are the candles on my cake. They glow under blacklight!


Here they are in candlelight.


About twenty people were at my party, but only Jilly Moose and Mamastep got into the spirit. I didn't take a picture of Mamastep's glowing shoes, but I did take a photo of Jilly Moose's glowing fingernails.


And she wore a glowing pink shirt and a glow-in-the-dark Mallards duck call.


Even my shoelaces glow under blacklight!


We had glowing beverages too - tonic water!


And this was our decoration - the duplicate mushroom poster I bought by accident on Small Business Saturday.


Rich had bought some poster board and blacklight paints to make posters before the party, but he didn't have time, so I thought we could paint stuff as a fun activity during the party. However, we had such good conversations going that nobody needed an extra activity. People gave me adult coloring books and neon markers and a book about cadavers, as well as funny cards, like the one from Cecil Markovitch that I didn't get until I read it out loud: "I'm sorry that I called you old. I thought you knew." Another card had a big 50 on it and said to hold it over my head, then inside it said, "You were under 50 just now." That was from Kathbert. The Dairyman's Daughter gave me one with a beagle making a very funny, shocked-looking face, and it said, "This is the face I made when I found out how old you are!" Many, many thanks to Rich for making the chicken parmesan and black magic cake and most of the sides. (Someone brought a delicious ramen salad.) And also for hosting.

This morning Tiffy, Travalon, and I got coffee at EVP, but they wouldn't give me a free one for my birthday. Then we picked up the Daughter of Denni and met Rich at the Great Dane, but they wouldn't give me anything free for my birthday either. Tiffy and the Daughter of Denni bought me lunch. They recently turned fifty themselves (this past summer) so they welcomed me to the club. Then we dropped them both off, and Travalon and I took a walk around our neighborhood, since it seemed a little warmer. We went to West Towne Mall for a change of scenery, and Travalon found a Funko Pop of Louise Jefferson, which implies the existence of George and maybe even Mother Jefferson. They had some cute stuffed axolotls before Christmas, but now they're all gone, so it looks like I missed my chance. We did stop at the Nitty Gritty so that I could get my birthday mug. Then we came home and watched the Packers game from the night before. The Packers beat the Vikings handily, but the Vikings kicker did get a 51-yard field goal, and when a receiver was tackled and the ball squirted out of his hands, the Vikings center caught it and ran for quite a few yards. Even he looked surprised! The Packers win was the icing on the cake of my fiftieth birthday.


Famous Hat

No comments: