Wednesday, August 16, 2023

More Killer Building Weirdness

 

Today I worked on campus, and the Killer Building was no joy to be in. Around nine some workman came to my office and said, "I'm shutting your door because it's going to be really loud." I said, "But I'm expecting someone!" and he said, "It's up to you, but it's going to be REALLY loud," so I said, "Okay, shut the door." A few minutes later, the person I was expecting knocked on my door, and I'm surprised I could hear it over all the noise these guys were making. I quickly ushered her and her two small sons into my office and shut the door. Talk about terrible timing! By the time we were done with our short meeting, it was quiet in the hall, but there were weird noises intermittently the rest of the day. My coworkers and I went to check out the damage, and we found they had cut a circle out of the landing in the stairwell. Not only that, but if you looked down, there were circles cut out of the landings below, and even the landings above. We speculated that they were going to install a column because they're afraid our building will collapse otherwise.

When I returned from my noontime walk with my colleague, the two workmen were also waiting for the elevator, and one said to the other, "My wife just told me a stairwell collapsed in Milwaukee, and so far they've found two employees in the rubble." That didn't make me feel any better about what's going on with the Killer Building, but I haven't been able to find any news articles about this incident. Do the workmen know something, like that our stairwell is about to collapse? And whatever they're doing, are they going to be done by the time classes start again in a couple of weeks? They don't care what we peons see happening, but I'm sure they don't want the faculty and students to see it.


Famous Hat


No comments: