Monday, August 14, 2023

Vigil Mass for the Assumption

 

Twenty-six years ago today, I was in Chartres, in a chapel below the main sanctuary of the famous cathedral. We could hear glorious singing during the Mass for the Vigil of the Assumption, and I thought the Mass the next day, on the actual feast day, would be just as grand, but alas, it was a much simpler affair. I thought of that tonight when we went to Waunakee for the Vigil Mass, which was fairly well attended but not packed. There was music, mostly popular Marian hymns, and I particularly liked something to the tune of the old Irish air "Wild Mountain Thyme." It didn't feel as mystical as that long-ago Mass we could hear above us, or even "Love You To" or "Tomorrow Never Knows," but part of the spiritual life is showing up even when you're not particularly feeling it. Sometimes you get the most graces then. I have been to some very uninspiring Masses that suddenly felt extremely holy, but this one just sort of puzzled me because the priest did the readings, which I've never seen before. They always have a lector. He was a young priest, like the new one at our church, and they even kind of look alike. It's like there's some priest factory somewhere pumping out these bros who get ordained. I think they are all a lot more conservative than I am, but then again, who isn't?

Earlier in the day it was raining. It was so dark out that I didn't wake up until my alarm went off, and during our morning walk we got completely soaked. There were flood warnings, and I was a little scared to go downtown to the Vigil Mass at 5:15, but Travalon agreed to go with me to the one at 8:00. He's not a fan of days of obligation, but it's not like there are that many of them. I told him he wouldn't have to go again until Immaculate Conception in December, but oops, I forgot about All Saints' Day in November. When we got out of Mass, it was misting a bit, and then we came home and found the Mallards on TV, since they were playing in Green Bay. They were up 4-3 at the end of the top of the ninth but ended up losing 5-4, so their season is over. A fitting ending to a dreary Monday. Maybe someday I will go to a Mass for the Assumption as glorious as the one in Chartres sounded, but today was not that day.


Famous Hat


No comments: