Tuesday, August 1, 2023

Nikoheimer

 

Yesterday I worked from home, then my neighbor and I dressed in pink (and I wore Niko) to go to the Barbie movie. We wanted to go to the 6:00 showing, but it was sold out... and so was the 6:30 showing and the 7:00 showing. I think there was a really late showing, like 9:00, that we could have gotten into, but I had to work today. Instead, we went to Oppenheimer at 6:30, and that was so good. They even let us order off the children's menu, so I had a child-sized pizza, and it was perfect. Since I was wearing Niko, he got to watch the movie too, except when I had a napkin over him while I was eating. I don't want to get pizza sauce on my Niko! A lot of the other people in our theater were wearing pink, so they must also have been Barbie refugees. One woman said, "A lot of people are doing Barbenheimer, but we're doing Oppenbarbie because we watched Oppenheimer first." After the movie we bought tickets for Barbie for tomorrow.

I did take a couple of photos of lotuses blooming just off our dock.



Today I worked from home again, then I went to Adoration. While I was there, Travalon took photos of Squeaky the Hummingbird at our feeder.


After dinner I walked with my neighbor, and we saw this Barbie sunset. It was pinker in real life.


The other day I saw a faculty member who studies shamanism (he is Catholic himself), and I mentioned my thoughts about nonspiritual people having bad trips on psychedelic drugs. Not only did he tell me he thought I was totally right about that, he said at our university, if they are giving a person a dose of psychedelics and that person has no religious background, they are extra careful to guide their trip. I thought that was extraordinary: at a secular university, they tacitly acknowledge that a lack of religion in a person's life makes them vulnerable to having their mind blown by seeing the spiritual realm. Why is nobody talking about this?? I know I often mock people who want "instant enlightenment" without putting in the hard work, but if they try to take a pill to become enlightened without the knowledge first, it's not just cheating, it's downright dangerous for them! I have run into people now and then, usually from the hippie generation so about fifteen years older than I am, who scorn religion but seemed fascinated by me. I have often felt like I could sell them on some garbage to become "instantly enlightened," but of course I couldn't do that and live with myself, and when they hear the answer to my spiritual development is sooo boring (Mass and the Rosary), they tune out. But now I'm thinking I need to save these people from doing something that potentially blows their minds, and not in a good way.

Travalon wants me to note that he is "un-adulting" by listening to 80's music while making the stuffies dance. It's like their own little nightclub.


Famous Hat


No comments: