Friday, April 5, 2024

175th Anniversary Open House on Campus

 

Yesterday I still felt under the weather, but it was a little warmer out, and I took some walks outside. That must have helped a lot, because today I felt great and went to work on campus. My colleague and I had big plans to hit the open houses on campus for the 175th anniversary of the university, and over our lunch hour we went to the observatory, took a self-guided tour of the oldest building on campus, and went to the building where you can buy ice cream, where they gave us free samples of 175 S'more Years ice cream and Cranverscherry cheese. Then I went back to work and excitedly told all my coworkers about the free ice cream and cheese, but they didn't seem too excited about it.

In the afternoon I left work an hour early to tour Science Hall, a very old and reputedly haunted but very beautiful building that looks like a big red castle. On the outside of the building, there is a period after the name of the building (Science Hall.), and nobody knows why. My colleague and I sampled honey in the pollen lab, learned about palm farming in Peru, and took a quiz about historic maps that I did surprisingly well on. There might have been even more activities, but we had to leave to catch our buses. The stop I was closest to had the option of taking the D or the B bus, and a B came just as I arrived, but I would have had to run to catch it, so I thought, "Nah, I'll just wait for the D - it drops off closer to my car." The weather was finally lovely out, so I didn't mind waiting outside, but then another B bus came before the D came, and so I took it. It took a very circuitous route, so I thought I might have saved time waiting for the D, but as I walked to my car after the B dropped me off, the D drove by, so it literally would have gotten me there at the same time.

Here's some DuoLingo bragging:

Do you realize what this means? That's right, DuoLingo randomly started working again on my phone. I didn't mind doing it on the computer, but only on the phone do I get these stickers.


Famous Hat


No comments: