Sunday, April 14, 2024

Scaups at Whalen Grade and Hiking on the Ice Age Trail

 

This morning Travalon and I went to the church in the gym, and I saw this magnolia in bloom in front of the church, which should be fixed up by next year.

We went to Whalen Grade to see if there were any ducks around, and there were some scaups.











There were some pelicans who all appeared to be asleep.


Then we went for a hike on a part of the Lodi segment of the Ice Age Trail that we hadn't explored before.


We got separated, and I found an even more stunning vista, but Travalon couldn't find me and went back to the car. He called me, and I tried to explain where I was, but he stayed by the car. Then I got a FaceTime call from Tiffy, who's in Ireland right now, so I thought it must be important... and then she asked why I had called her. Maybe I accidentally called her while trying to call Travalon back? So we chatted for a bit as I made my way back to the car.

Then I had Irish class for the first time in forever. I've only been doing French on DuoLingo lately, but surprisingly I understood a lot of what people were saying. The teacher asked if I had "aon sceal," or any story, so I tried to say how I felt like a character in a children's book: seeing pink birds, going on a boat on a green river, seeing the black sun. She seemed to understand. 

Band practice went well. If I get bored of doing one thing, I can do something else: double the fiddles on melody, make up a harmony, play broken chords like a banjo, or just play chords. If our leader makes us play the same song over and over and over, then I'll change it up. When I ask what people like best, they don't care. The mandolin is just ornamentation, so they let me do whatever. I was fine until it seemed to get hotter in the house, even as it was cooling off outside (it was very warm today), so then I said, "I've got to go - I have an early morning tomorrow," and everyone else decided to call it a night too, even though most of them are retired and can get up any old time they like. Must be nice...



Famous Hat


No comments: