Tuesday, April 23, 2024

Crazy Frank's Flea Market Loot

 

Yesterday I worked on campus and then in the evening had a condo board meeting. Today I worked on campus because I had an in-person meeting, and then a couple of faculty met with me too. All that is to say that I don't have much to blog about the last couple of days; I went to the Allen Centennial Gardens and took photos of some of the lovely flowers, but they didn't turn out as well as I'd hoped. However, I did get some good photos of our loot from Crazy Frank's Flea Market in Mineral Point. First, here is Travalon's stuff:



The only thing that might not be self-explanatory is the bobblehead of a Green Bay college-league baseball team that no longer exists - it's a bullfrog. Also, the figurine to the left is Popeye, if you can't quite make it out. The little truck says "Warner Bros."

Here is my stuff:


In the back row are a blue dog and a big baseball Beanie Baby bear, and between them the Spain Beanie Baby bear and "The End" Beanie Baby Bear, which sounds ominous but I assume was the last one in the series. Then there are the bride and groom Beanie Baby bears, which seemed appropriate when we are fast approaching our tenth wedding anniversary, and in between them is a little pineapple made of semiprecious stones. There are sort of rainbow earrings and an intriguing necklace (I love the magenta color) with an ankh on it, and in front is a sun catcher. The only thing that cost in double digits was the pineapple. 

I'm not really pleased with any of the flower photos I took at the gardens, especially the tulips that looked so vivid in real life and pathetic in my shots, but I did see something interesting. A while back I had blogged about the difference between a daffodil and a jonquil: a daffodil has one blossom to a stem, is larger, and has no scent, while a jonquil has multiple blossoms to a stem and often is fragrant, like paper whites. I did see these jonquils, but I didn't notice that they had a scent.


And then I saw this: it seems to be a daffodil, but this one stem has two blossoms.


I would say this is just an anomaly. I have sometimes seen two tulip blossoms on one stem, or even two calla lily blossoms on one stem. I'm calling this a twin daffodil, not a jonquil. When we were kids, we would often find a giant double dandelion blossom among all the regular blossoms, but I haven't seen one in years. Then again, I don't spend as much time inspecting dandelions as I did as a kid. Those had some pretty impressive seed heads when they went to seed - extra wishes!


Famous Hat


No comments: