Tuesday, April 2, 2024

Sometimes It Snows in April...

 

Today I didn't leave the house. Generally I work from home on Tuesdays, but of course I go outside for walks. This morning it rained really hard until it turned into snow in the early afternoon, and it never let up. I didn't bother going outside at all; I ran around the house during my lunch break. When it still wasn't getting any better, and there was no word that the adoration chapel would be closed, I called and said I couldn't make it to my usual hour this evening. Adoration is a beautiful thing, but not worth risking my life for! I'm surprised that they didn't close the chapel, since they often do when the snow is bad, and in this case it's supposed to snow until four in the afternoon tomorrow. Anna Banana II said she heard we might be getting nine inches of snow!! So I stole the title of this blog post from a Prince song because it was so fitting. Of course, Prince was from Minnesota, so he knew all about snow in April. 

I did have a meeting at work today, for a committee meeting for the first time to discuss ageism at the university. This is an important topic, but as an hourly employee, I have slightly different concerns than these salaried employees, who are all concerned about "intersectionality" and how ageism isn't the only "ism." Which is true, of course, but we are specifically supposed to be studying ageism - there are other groups studying racism and sexism and whatever. I may have made a bad impression by wearing my grey hoodie and sitting in my easy chair - I should have put on a professional-looking blouse and sat at the kitchen table, but I'm not sure I even care about impressing these people. There was a person on the committee with those weird made-up pronouns who did an awful lot of the talking and seemed to want to take the committee in some other direction, so I wondered why "zhe" even bothered to join. If "zhe're" interested in LGBTQ+ issues, I'm sure there's a committee for that, so don't hijack ours. I'm starting to see why the chair of another committee I'm on, when the two of us were invited to join this committee, said No Thanks. Maybe we hourly people need our own committee to focus on the actual issues, like wage compression. I feel like we'd get more done.


Famous Hat


No comments: