Thursday, April 11, 2024

Benton's Beatles Connection

 

Today I worked on campus again, but I felt more faded, like the lack of sleep caught up to me even though I thought I'd caught back up. I took a walk at lunch, but it was cold and drizzly, so I made it a little shorter than usual. However, I discovered a wonderful thing in the cantina in the next building: caffeinated chocolate bars! That helped me get through the rest of the workday, plus the Union meeting afterwards.

I forgot to mention that yesterday as my colleague and I walked on Library Mall at lunchtime, we saw a guy walking another guy on a leash. The guy being walked was walking on all fours and barking like a dog. My colleague asked me what that was about, but I was just as clueless as she was, even if I did grow up in this country.

Another thing I keep forgetting to mention is that the postcard that I sent from Bimini to the Work Gang arrived on Monday, while I was out chasing the eclipse. I had totally given up hope that it would ever arrive! Like the one Ma Hat got, it was postmarked 16 February, and hers arrived exactly a month later, but this one took almost two months. Did it go on its own vacation on the way to Madtown?

Part of the reason Travalon was happy to go to Benton to see the eclipse is because it has a Beatles connection: George Harrison's sister married a guy who lived in Benton and moved there herself, and George came to visit, so everywhere in town you see Beatles stuff. There was a little park off the town square with this commemorative sign:


There were vintage Beatles photos at one of the antiques shops, but they didn't appear to be for sale. And outside of town there is a big monument to the Beatles. So it was the perfect place for Travalon, besides being right in the center of the eclipse's path so that we saw maximum totality.


Famous Hat


1 comment:

Travalon said...

George visited his sister Louise in Benton in 1963 before the Beatles first U.S. tour, he was the first Beatle to ever visit America. There was a book about the event which I think written by his sister called A Beatle In Benton.