Saturday, September 14, 2024

Day in New Glarus and the Arboretum

 

Yesterday I worked from home, which was a relief after my crazy day on Thursday. The package I'd been expecting did arrive. Meet Luna.

She is the same as Tenebrae (a dragon rabbit), only white. Apparently they got a lot of requests for this. Here are the two of them together.



In the evening, Travalon and I went to the Monona Terrace for an astronomy event. There were supposed to be all sorts of stations with telescopes pointing at various heavenly bodies, and the people at the entrance gave me a map that showed Station 16 would be pointing at Saturn. I found Station 14, 15, and 17, but not 16, and when I asked a volunteer, he said, "Oh, that was my station. I didn't bring my telescope because it's kind of cloudy tonight." Indeed it was, but the moon looked beautiful.


We did look through a telescope pointed at a big crater on the moon, so that was cool. 

Today we had a very relaxed morning, and I did a lot of DuoLingo.


Travalon watched some Premier League game, then he started to watch the Badger game against Alabama, before we met Jilly Moose at Richard Bonomo's house to drive down to New Glarus. The four of us met Tiffy down there, since she'd been dog sitting in Monroe, and we went to a Swiss restaurant for lunch. Afterwards we walked around New Glarus, which is a very cute little town. A lot of the buildings look like this:


We saw lots of flowers there, like this passionflower. 


We went to a number of shops, and I got a necklace. (Sorry, no photo yet.) In one shop, they must have had problems with people walking into the mirror.


After Tiffy bid us adieu and the rest of us returned to Madison, we picked up Kathbert and went hiking at the Arboretum. Here are some photos. First, my phone won't identify these berries.


It was so beautiful and peaceful on that path.


In the garden area, we saw interesting snapdragons.


Weirdly, a lot of spring flowers were in bloom, like these crocuses.


And this magnolia, and a lot of lilacs.


This magnolia had such interesting seed pods.


There were interesting oak trees with very interesting acorns.


Look at this magnolia covered with seed pods.


This cedar looks like a UFO. Is it really just one shrub?


By the way, the Badgers lost 42-10, which is about what I'd expected. I guess in that game, we were the cupcake team! 


Famous Hat

No comments: