Monday, September 16, 2024

Remembering Random Things

 

Today was not a very exciting day. I was the only staff person in the office, and this afternoon the president of the whole university system was coming to talk, so I had some coffee in order not to fall asleep. It didn't even work, because I was fighting to stay awake, and then I really had to pee. I held out through his talk but had to pop out during the Q&A. However, I did make an important discovery on the way home: the shuttle ride is one rosary long.

Jilly Moose sent me a photo of the moose Travalon got her for her birthday during his trip up North. At my suggestion, she named him Chambord after the raspberry liqueur, since her moose are all named after coffee drinks or alcohol. I wish I could show you, but my computer just updated, and now I cannot get it to add a photo using Safari. No problem, I thought, I'll just do it in Chrome... and it refuses to even open Chrome. This is going to be a huge issue, since photos are a big part of my blog. I hope to have a resolution soon. Apparently this new operating system doesn't play nicely with Google, which is going to be an enormous issue.

Hold on - I just reinstalled Chrome and now I can add the photo!

The other day as I rode the shuttle to work, I saw a car with a license plate that said: "Zymurgy," and somehow I knew that meant fermentation, so the person was probably a home brewer. Then I was walking on the Lakeshore Path at lunchtime, and I heard a boat behind me and thought, "That's the Betty Lou!" and sure enough, it was. Why does my brain retain useless information like obscure words and the sounds of particular boat motors, but it couldn't remember the difference between a ketone, an ester, and an ether when I was taking Organic Chemistry? Maybe if I'd been able to retain that, I'd have a high-powered career as a chemical engineer or something. Instead, my brain only retains trivia, and probably not even the right trivia to win at Jeopardy or anything practical like that. Though our neighbor who took us out sailing said identifying the sound of the Betty Lou was extremely important on our lake, because you'd want to know if a huge boat was bearing down on you!


Famous Hat


No comments: