Monday, September 9, 2024

Monday Musings

 

This morning I took the shuttle, and my shuttle buddy was there again. I left work a few minutes early, figuring I'd gotten there a few minutes early, and there was my shuttle buddy! A lot more people got on at the hospital than when I was on the later shuttle last week. There's supposed to be one in between this early one and the one that doesn't seem to come until 5:30, but it's like that one vanished.

Today I wore the necklace I got at an antiques shop in St. Augustine, and this evening a thought suddenly popped into my head: would it glow under blacklight? Indeed it does!


I got yet another sticker from DuoLingo:


A couple of people have challenged me to "duels" on DuoLingo, but when I go into the app, I can't find the duel. They're always trying crazy new things, but how crazy is a thing you can't even find??

Sometimes you see strange things on campus. Earlier in the summer there were two dead baby birds that looked like they had just hatched on the sidewalk outside my building, and they stayed there for days. There was also part of a long leg, like from a crane, and it stayed there for weeks. Then a couple of weeks ago I saw a flat chipmunk on the Lake Shore Path. Now that path is only open to pedestrians and bikers, and they don't weigh enough to flatten a chipmunk, but every once in a while a maintenance vehicle goes by on it, and this unfortunate chipmunk must have had a fateful encounter with one of those. However, what I saw on campus today was alive and well: a squirrel that was darker than the usual gray ones, but not quite as dark as the jet-black ones you see in the northern woods. It was a gray-black squirrel.

Speaking of animal sightings, Travalon saw five cranes the other day:



If you look closely, two of them are more orange, and those are the young ones, almost grown. The pair that lives near the dock raised them. The fifth crane seems to be one of the pair that lives behind our building. I make up stories about the cranes, and one story is that one member of this pair is the offspring of the pair by the dock that came back to raise its own families here. That pair has had babies, but none survived to adulthood. Sadly, one of that pair seems to have disappeared, so my guess is that the fifth crane is the aunt (or uncle) of the young cranes, and either the daughter (or son) or daughter-in-law of the other pair. They are letting it hang out with them because otherwise it would be all alone. We have seen it alone a few times lately, and early in the morning it was calling piteously for its mate. What happened? I have no idea, but there are a lot of cars around here, and we hear coyotes all the time.

Today is Tiffy's birthday. Happy birthday, Tiffy!


Famous Hat


No comments: