Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Scanned Images: Wedding Favors

Today seemed like a good day to do some scanning, and so I am proud to present Scanned Images: Wedding Favors. The following images are the little wedding favor rattan box that was sitting at my table at the wedding reception, and the special Hawaiian Kisses with macadamia nuts that were inside of it.

Figure 1: Small Rattan Box



Figure 2: Contents of Aforementioned Box
(Macadamia Nut Kisses)

Those were the official wedding favors. At this wedding there were the standard Three Types of Guests: Those Who Take Their Favors, Those Who Leave Their Favors, and Those Who Take Both Their Own Favors and Those Left Behind. If you think that I, Famous Hat, fall into the third category, you are only partially correct. I, of course, have my own special category: She Who Also Wants Botanical Keepsakes.

As I may have mentioned, the flora at this wedding was all imported from Hawaii. I fell madly in love with an orchid that had gorgeous chartreuse blossoms with purple throats, and I asked permission to take an offset. Both the bride's mother and sister, who are florists, expressed doubt that the offset would survive a voyage across two states. Not to be denied, I then asked about a beautiful piece of foliage in the bouquets. These bouquets were amazing, with flowers that looked like pale pink peace lilies and all sorts of tropical foliage. The piece I was coveting had yellow-edged leaves and looked somewhat dracaena-like, and there's no plant family I know better than the dracaena one! They are very simple to grow. The bride's sister said she thought a piece of this plant, which is called Song of India (and is, in fact, a dracaena) would easily survive the long car trip and happily grow in a vase of water (much like "Lucky Bamboo," which is also a type of dracaena and not bamboo at all), so I currently have it sitting in Plant World. After eight hours in a car with no water, it looked a little droopy, but as soon as I got home, I cut back the stem and stuck it in a vase of water, and by the next morning it looked perfectly happy.

Here is a picture of what a full-grown Song of India looks like:




Figure 3: Song of India
(Photo credit: "borrowed" off the internet)


Famous Hat

1 comment:

Olivia said...

I can attest to the yumminess factor of the chocolate macadamia nut kisses