Friday, April 16, 2010

RIP Snoopy of the Hat Clan

My brother's dog Snoopy died this past weekend. She was a very old dog, but it is still sad. My brother wrote a poem for her on his MyFace page, which he said I could post here:

Whenever we lose our best friend in life,
We're full of stress, full strife.... See More
Great big holes are left inside
Where once was love, has also died.
To think it's better for the dead
Helps stop the pain and dread.
And for the living, we must contend,
For theirs is pain that will not end.
Until the day they they leave this life,
And others must face that pain and strife.
And so the circle runs it's course,
And leaves tear stained faces: voices hoarse.
So no I leave her to my fate
And say goodbye.....
Snoopy, my best mate!


- Legalmechman, 2010

I copied that verbatim, since poetry is not subject to the same rules as prose. Still, I'm not sure Legalmechman meant to put "they" twice in Line 9, but I am not going to make grammatical corrections to his poignant expression of grief.

I don't have a picture of Snoopy to post, but she was a large dog of indeterminate breed, maybe part German shepherd and part lab. I did not know her well, but she was a Good Dog and always very sweet to me. I hope she is enjoying heaven with my guinea pigs Aeneas, Ulysses, Phoebe, Veronica, Sebastian, and Jennapig, my gerbils Jenny and John, and my parakeets Vladimir, Vabukka, and Vanya. (I believe Aenea is still alive and well, living with Kathbert's mom Mombert, although she would be quite an old bird by now.) Oh yeah, and my parents' parakeet Linus, the daughter of Vladimir and Vabukka. (We thought it was a boy when we named it.) And of course all the goldfish I've had over the years, like Gamma and Delta, Rabindranath and Jalaluddin, and Margaret. Dona eis requiem.

Famous Hat

No comments: