Friday, April 2, 2010

TGIGF: Thank God It's Good Friday!!

Today many of us got an unpaid furlough day. Hey, I'm not complaining - I'd rather have time than money! I spent my morning in a very non-spiritual way by sleeping in and then lying in bed doing sudoku until Hardingfele called. (My name is Famous Hat, and I am a sudokuholic.) She wanted me to come over and color eggs with her and Rockstar Tailor, but there wasn't time before I had to be at church so we agreed to do it tomorrow, after our gig at a pancake breakfast.

I drove to church guzzling coffee (you don't have to give that up on a fast day, right?) and found out one of our sopranos was out with strep throat, but if you think that means I got to sing in my natural range, think again. We had a guest singer who was supposed to help us altos, since one of our kind is out of state for Easter, but then our choir director had her sing soprano, so I still played an alto. The guest singer and I were talking about how incense is wonderful in modest doses, but do they have to use so much that you can't see the other side of the church through the smoke? She said that's what happens when you have nothing else going on in your life, and I thought that was hilarious. I have heard many arguments against priestly celibacy, but that is the first time I heard that it might contribute to lack of moderation in incense use! She said a study needs to be done, so there is yet another study Toque McToque and I should apply for. One of our crazy ideas has to get funded someday...

It was beautiful in the early afternoon, and Anna Banana II, Richard Bonomo, El Vegetariano, and I sat outside to have a tiny bite for our one meal of the day (except Rich - he's waiting until evening), but now it is cold and rainy. El Vegetariano, who is Mexican - and a vegetarian - said there are two kinds of Scorpios, the mystical ones and the vicious ones. When I asked which kind he was, he said, "Both." I am not a big meat eater myself, preferring either fish and seafood or alligators - how can you feel guilty about eating something that would eat you first if it could? - and ever since reading that pigs can recognize themselves in a mirror, I have trouble justifying eating pork. Pigs apparently join that rarified group of creatures with self-awareness that include great apes, dolphins, and elephants. But even if someone told me tomorrow that alligators are self-aware, I'm not sure I'd care. They are soooo creepy; we saw them in a bayou down in New Orleans, and they were watching us like they wanted to eat us. If they were self-aware, would they be aware of their own creepiness?

I should head out to the Lutheran choir now. They really do Good Friday right. Have a blessed one!

Famous Hat

No comments: