Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Bat Cake

I realize many of the people who read this blog saw this cake in person, but I love posting photos of cakes to my blog. In this case, Richard Bonomo baked four 13x9” sheet cakes of a type called “black magic,” but two of them were half the thickness of the other two. The obvious solution was to stack the two short cakes, and then I was going to make a butterfly, using the stacked cakes for the body and the other two cakes for the wings. I cut off the edges of the stacked cakes to make antennae, but the creature looked more like a bat, which is easier to frost anyway since it just takes chocolate frosting to make a brown bat. A few gumdrops stood in for eyes, mouth, and fangs. When people asked me why a bat cake, I just said because I’m an old bat.

Famous Hat

No comments: